The holidays are a time full of togetherness and joy. It is also one of the busiest times of the year for many people. Because of all the extra shopping, decorating, parties, phone calls, company, and all other holiday related chores, it can be hard to find time to relax with your partner. In some cases, couples won’t even have a single hour during the week to just sit down and enjoy each other’s company. It is unfortunate that during these hectic weeks, the people we need the most can be the farthest away.
Couples counseling services are busiest during the month of January. Can you guess why? You might be inclined to think that it’s because couples have more time or money, or maybe you think it is because they are fighting more often. We have found that the influx of counseling in January is due to the small amount of personal time that is spent from the months of October to December. Relationships are not the first things on most couples’ minds, so problems can arise.
Time spent alone with your spouse is vital to maintaining a healthy relationship. After all, you can’t very well stay in love if you don’t spend one-on-one time together. It is during these personal moments that you develop good communication and show affection. You also get a chance to resolve any issues. So, what can you do to stay better connected with your partner this holiday season?
1. Bake cookies in the afternoon.
2. Go ice-skating, even if you fall over the whole time.
3. Go on a neighborhood tour and check out the lights.
4. Watch classic holiday movies.
5. Do some last minute shopping somewhere you both want to go.
6. Enjoy a glass of eggnog near the fireplace
7. Build a snowman in the front yard.
8. Cook a fancy meal at home, just for the two of you.
9. Wrap presents and donate them to charity.
10. Share a smooch or two under the mistletoe!
Don’t stress about your time alone. If you keep a positive attitude and stay grateful for all the good things in your life, come January you and your partner will be happier than ever.
Revitalize and Save Your Marriage With Our Free Webinar “5 Secrets to Save Your Marriage”
You will discover:
- The answer to “Can my marriage be saved?”
- How to fix your marriage even if you’re the only one trying
- 4 Relationship Myths that are probably getting in your way
- How to avoid common mistakes you may be making in your marriage. /li>
- The most important thing you need to do to save your marriage – And you’ll be surprised it’s practical and easy to apply for almost everyone
- Clear, straightforward steps that you can take immediately to get your marriage on track
Dr. Dana Fillmore and Amy Barnhart, StrongMarriageNow.com